Question: Why do the English spell “Center” as “Centre”?..
Answer: Because that is how the English spell it, in the English language.
The Americans chose to change their spelling of various words many years ago, to form their own American language, and to be different to the English.
- Center is the correct spelling for Americans.
- Centre is the correct spelling for the English.
When Noah Webster (1758 – 1843) was a teacher, he felt that they were using poor and unsatisfactory textbooks that came from England. He thought that Americans should learn from American books, and began to change spellings of some English words to an American way.
- What is British-English? 7th September 2022
- I could care less or I couldn’t care less 6th September 2022
- Why is Aluminium Spelt Wrong? 2nd September 2022
- Is American English the incorrect version of British English? 2nd September 2022
- Language of Americans 3rd May 2021
- What does Lucked Out mean in English 13th March 2021
- Ageing or Aging 17th December 2020
- Americans do Follow the English date format. 4th July 2020
- Do People in Hong Kong speak English 16th April 2020
- Biscuits and Scones 4th January 2020
- What is the history behind the English word “rubbish” instead of “garbage”? 13th August 2019
- English Language: Snuck or Sneaked 9th August 2019
- In the Language of the English: Lucked Out 1st August 2019
- The Origin of the American Language version of English 23rd September 2018
- Boot or Trunk of a Car 23rd September 2018
- Why do the English spell “Center” as “Centre”? 1st August 2018
- Scottish English v English 1st April 2018
- How many people speak RP (Received Pronunciation) in England? 31st March 2018
- Difference between Dependant and Dependent 29th March 2018
- English Language: Program or Programme 9th January 2017
- English or American: Registrable or Registerable 16th September 2016
- Which is Right? Enrolment or Enrollment? 25th July 2016
- Spelling: Traveler or Traveller 27th August 2015
- PEMDAS or BODMAS or BOMDAS 22nd August 2015
- English American: Learnt or Learned 22nd August 2015
- The meaning of “A La Mode” 20th June 2014
- British English – American English Vocabulary 16th February 2014
- Tuition: Definition of 21st May 2013
- Spelling: Coloured or Colored? 23rd March 2013
- Spelling: Equalled or Equaled? 23rd March 2013
- Duvet, Doona, Quilt or Comforter; What is the difference ? 11th January 2013
- Aluminium or Aluminum 7th August 2010
58.1 - 699,306