Canadian attempt to change Birthright Citizenship, and end Birth Tourism..
A petition to change Birthright Citizenship, and end ‘Birth Tourism’ was presented to the Canadian House of Commons on October 5, 2018
The wording of the petition is:
PETITION TO THE HOUSE OF COMMONS IN PARLIAMENT ASSEMBLED
- An abusive and exploitative practice known as ‘Birth Tourism’ now exists in Canada, whereby expectant mothers who are foreign nationals, with no status in Canada, gain automatic citizenship for their children born in Canada;
- The practice of ‘Birth Tourism’ is fundamentally debasing the value of Canadian citizenship;
- The practice of ‘Birth Tourism’ can be very costly to taxpayers, since it can be used to gain access to Canada’s publicly subsidized post-secondary education system and to take advantage of Canada’s public healthcare system and generous social security programs, all without having to contribute much to the funding of these systems and programs’;
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents have been displaced by foreign nationals at local hospitals, thereby requiring Canadian citizens and permanent residents to seek medical attention at other facilities;
- Underground and unregulated ‘for profit’ businesses have developed both in Canada and ‘countries of origin’ to facilitate the practice of ‘Birth Tourism’; and
- The instances of ‘Birth Tourism’ are increasing in multiple cities across Canada.
We, the undersigned, citizens and permanent residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons in Parliament assembled to:
- Publicly state that the government does not support ‘Birth Tourism’ due to the inherent unfairness of this practice and the negative consequences associated with it;
- Commit public resources to determine the full extent of this practice across Canada; and
- Expeditiously implement concrete measures to reduce and eliminate this practice.
The petition details are at: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca
Date of Petition creation: March 19, 2018
Date of Petition submission: October 5, 2018
556.1 - 588,075