This post is mainly to remind myself of how to fix this problem if it happens again, as it has now occurred on every WordPress site that I have.
The error came up as: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate …
The new and permanent fix (at December 2009) is:
edit the wp-config.php file, in the site root folder, with:
/** Database memory size */
define (‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);
I added the above just before the line /** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */
The old fix that I was using, which did work until each next WP upgrade was…
edit the “wp-settings.php” file in the sites root folder
on line 13 it did have:
- define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’32M’);
I changed this to:
- define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);
Note: All I changed was the 32 to 64.
Nothing more, and it worked every time.
This was for my WordPress version 2.8.4
This new and permanent fix (now at the top of this post, fixed the problem after upgrading to 2.9 in December 2009, without needing to change the “wp-settings.php”
An excellent source for many more WordPress tips is: http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/wordpress-10-life-saving-sql-queries
238.1 - 711,616