Median Family Income, Mortgage and Rents in Brisbane in 2011


2011 census: Median Incomes, Mortgages and Rents for Greater Brisbane.

Total Household Incomes (includes single person households)

$73,716 Median Total Annual Household Income

Total Family Incomes (excludes single person households)

$86,060 Median Total Annual Family Income

Housing Costs

$23,916 Median Annual Mortgage Repayment at $1,993 per month
$17,160 Median Annual Rent at $330 per week

Source: ABS 2011 Census.

Based on the above figures and assuming that the income is based on one getting 60% of the total, and the other 40%, then the following figures would be close to the median for the area:

The median family, (not singles), pays 28% of gross income as mortgage payments, or 20% if they are renting.

The median Family disposable income (after Tax and Mortgage/Rent) therefore works out at either:

  • $ 914 per week (Home Owners) or
  • $1,044 per week (Renters)

Calculations:

Home Owners

$86,060 Gross Annual (60%-40% wage split)
$71,465 Net Annual
$23,916 Annual Mortgage Payment
$47,549 Annual Disposable after tax and home payments
$914 Weekly Disposable

Renters

$86,060 Gross Annual (60%-40% wage split)
$71,465 Net Annual
$17,160 Annual rents
$54,305 Annual Disposable after tax and home payments
$1,044 Weekly Disposable

Some base data comparisons for other areas:

Australia

$1,234 Median weekly household income
$1,800 Median monthly mortgage repayments
$ 285 Median weekly rent
9,117,033 private dwellings with average 2.6 people per household
5,684,062 Families with average 1.9 children per family

Brisbane UCL301001 Urban Centres and Localities (Beenleigh to Caboolture – Ipswich to Redland)

$1,418 Median weekly household income
$1,993 Median monthly mortgage repayments
$ 330 Median weekly rent
741,101 private dwellings with average 2.7 people per household
495,131 Families with average 1.9 children per family

Brisbane Commonwealth Electoral Division

$1,732 Median weekly household income
$2,297 Median monthly mortgage repayments
$ 360 Median weekly rent
69,442 private dwellings with average 2.2 people per household
33,235 Families with average 1.8 children per family

Median = Half of all will be above the median, and half will be below.

eg: take five numbers 10, 15, 30, 32, 33  The median is 30 with 2 numbers below, and 2 numbers above

Average = The sum of all dived by the number.

eg:  The same five numbers 10, 15, 30, 32, 33, and add the sum of them: 10+ 15+ 30+ 32+ 33 = 120. Divide that by five and the average is 24

 

2011 Brisbane Census


133.1 - 603,622
Scroll down for Comments
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments