European countries that are not EU members.
How many countries are in Europe?
The 23 European countries that are NOT members of the EU are:
- Albania, applied in 2009.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, applied in 2016.
- Kosovo, in process to apply.
- Montenegro, applied in 2008.
- North Macedonia, applied in 2004.
- San Marino
- Serbia, applied in 2009
- Turkey, applied in 1987 (EEC)
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
The 27 European countries that are members of the EU are:
- Republic of Cyprus,
- Czech Republic,
Those two figures add up to 50.
The European Union (EU) says there are 50, of which 27 countries are members of the EU, and 23 are not.
Others say there are 47, 49 or 51 countries in Europe.
Why is 49 countries in Europe a popular choice?
The UN says there are 44 countries in Europe, but these 5 countries are not recognised by the UN.
So, the UN’s 44, plus those 5 make 49.
Are Turkey and Russia in Europe?
- 95% of Turkey is in Asia, only 5% in Europe.
- 77% of Russia is in Asia, only 23% in Europe.
If you add Turkey and Russia, the number becomes 51. But Asia then loses two very large countries.
Why is it so confusing?
12.1 - 724,215
↓ Scroll down for Comments ↓