Will Prince Charles become King Charles III, George VII, Philip or Arthur.
Prince Charles could become King Charles III
People speculate on the name of the future King of the United Kingdom, and many think that Charles the Third may not be appropriate, due to the memory of the execution of Charles I in January 1649, followed by the abolition of the monarchy and the creation of the republic called the Commonwealth of England (1649 to 1660) following his death.
However, the memory of Charles II can be related to the restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Although Charles II did dissolve the English Parliament in 1681, ruling alone until he died on 6 February 1685.
Both King Charles (I and II) have possible bad memories for Parliament. Will Charles make Charles III a better proposition?
Prince Charles could become King Philip
Could Charles use Philip as his regal name, after his father. It would be an interesting choice.
Prince Charles could become King Arthur
Could Charles use Arthur as his regal name, and be linked to the legendary King Arthur.
Prince Charles could become King George VII
Could Charles play safe and follow the regal George name?
Georges I to V each chose their first Christian name, George.
However, George VI skipped his first names; Albert, Frederick and Arthur by choosing his 4th Christian name George.
Previous Royal Regal Names
All the Monarchs since at least 1714 have used one of their Christian names as their Regal name, some being the first name, others the second or last. It would make sense for Charles to use one of his names, but it is always possible he could choose another altogether.
Charles, Prince of Wales (Charles Philip Arthur George)
- Elizabeth II [Reign: 6 February 1952 – ] (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary) Chose her 1st Christian name
- George VI [Reign: 11 December 1936 – 6 February 1952] (Albert Frederick Arthur George) Chose his 4th Christian name
- Edward VIII [Reign: 20 January 1936 – 11 December 1936] (Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David) Chose his 1st Christian name
- George V [Reign: 6 May 1910 – 20 January 1936] (George Frederick Ernest Albert) Chose his 1st Christian name
- Edward VII [Reign: 22 January 1901 – 6 May 1910] (Albert Edward) Chose his 2nd Christian name
- Victoria [Reign: 20 June 1837 – 22 January 1901] (Alexandrina Victoria) Chose her 2nd Christian name
- William [Reign: 26 June 1830 – 20 June 1837] IV (William Henry) Chose his 2nd Christian name
- George IV [Reign: 29 January 1820 – 26 June 1830] (George Augustus Frederick) Chose his 1st Christian name
- George III [Reign: 25 October 1760 – 29 January 1820] (George William Frederick) Chose his 1st Christian name
- George II [Reign: 11 June 1727 – 25 October 1760] (George Augustus) Chose his 1st Christian name
- George I [Reign: 1 August 1714 – 11 June 1727] (George Louis) Chose his 1st Christian name
Prince Charles will become King George VII
25.1 - 560,067