Philippines and the Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC)

Emigration Clearance Certificate or Exit Clearance Certificate.

Update April 2015

These Adverts help to pay for this site.

An Emigration Clearance Certificate [ECC] is needed when leaving the Philippines after a stay of 6 months or more.

Any child, born in the Philippines, but travelling on a Foreign passport, NEEDS an ECC to leave the Philippines.  A notice to this effect is on display at a Bureau of Immigration office.

The ECC-A may be secured at the BI Main Office or in select District Offices, Satellite Offices, Field Offices, One-Stop-Shops.
ECC-A is issued to departing holders of Tourist Visas who have stayed for 6 months or more.

The ECC-B may be secured at the BI Main Office or in the airport upon departure.
ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

Update November 2014

Agoda HolidaysAgoda HolidaysThese Adverts help to pay for this site.

The cost is 500 pesos for an Emigration Clearance Certificate, ECC-A (3rd Nov 2014 at Angeles Office)
The cost for an ECC-B was quoted as 2,850 pesos by another person in November.

Update April 2014

A foreign national may apply for an ECC at least 72 hours prior to his/her departure from the Philippines.

The ECC is valid for one (1) month from the date of issue, however, you may only use this once regardless of its validity.

The ECC can now be obtained from various BI offices around the Philippines.

See also: How Long is the Philippines ECC valid

This WAS the latest information, as at September 13th 2013, on the facts about the Philippines and the Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC).

WOW, after reading many forums I can see that there is a LOT of confusion about this.

Here are the FACTS, from “the horses mouth” as they say.

All Philippines Exit Points were notified of a NEW ruling on the ECC in a memorandum dated September 13th 2013.

Anyone on a visitor visa that has stayed OVER SIX months, MUST apply for an Exit Clearance Certificate BEFORE departure, at the main BI Office, NOT at the airport or regional offices.

All Philippines Immigration Offices have been told to advise anyone that applies for an extension visa taking them over the 6 months limit, about this rule.

This ruling is VERY strict, with disciplinary action against any Immigration Staff member that allows any exemptions.

The ECC being referred to here (ECC-A), relates ONLY to those foreign visitors that have been in the Philippines for 6 months or over.  There is a different, less problematic one for those shorter term visitors.

Since 2001, there has been a rule that every visitor, that has stayed for over 6 months, must get an ECC before leaving.  Some immigration officers have enforced this, with payment at the airport office, and some have been more relaxed.

But the rules have changed a few times, with the latest one being issued on a memorandum dated September 13th 2013.  This I have seen personally, during my interview with the Captain of Immigration at Manila Airport.

It clearly says that anyone having stayed OVER 6 months MUST apply FIFTEEN DAYS in ADVANCE for an ECC at BI Intramuros, Manila.

It was explained to me that they now have no choice, but to enforce this rule without exemption.

Even a new baby, TWO DAYS OLD, was refused exit as they didn’t have the ECC for it.

DO NOT BLAME THE AIRPORT STAFF !!  They do not like it either

ALL Philippine Exit Clearance Certificates MUST be applied for at the Bureau of Immigration(BI), Magallanes Drive, Port Area, Intramuros, Manila, (02) 527-3257 or (02) 338-4542

Although the above words are what I saw, I am going to assume that different memos were sent to the other areas, and applications may also be made personally at Davoa and Cebu.  But I am NOT 100% certain about that.  I do know that they CANNOT be applied for anywhere else in Luzon, other than Intramuros. And that includes anyone coming from Mindoro.  (Cebu and Davao are classed as regional offices on some sites I have seen.)  Update Nov 2014. Many Offices now do the ECC’s, including Angeles City, Pampanga.

This is an email from the BI after the event:

Please be informed that a temporary visitor with a total length of stay exceeding 6 months shall comply with the regular clearance certificate requirement at the Alien Registration Division, Bureau of Immigration, Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila (main office).


  • Duly filled-up application form,
  • 5 pcs. colored photo (size 2×2 ) white background,
  • Photocopy of passport (biopage, latest arrival stamp and visa extension stamp)
  • Receipt for payment of appropriate immigration fees

*Please take note that personal appearance is required for fingerprinting.


Express Lane Fee                                   Php          500.00

*Additional fees may be required upon checking of documents

ECC                                        Php          700.00

ACR                                                     1,010.00

Additional ACR                                        500.00

Additional ECC                                        500.00


For applications filed in the morning, certificates will be released in the afternoon while for applications filed in the afternoon, certificates will be released the following business day.  (But still depends on the volume of the applicants)

Please be informed that ECC for tourists may only be applied at the BI main office and the same may not be applied at any international airports.

If you will depart without the ECC, then you will be denied departure or offloaded.

It differs from the Memo given to the Airport Staff in the timeline part.

Memo says:  Applications must be made 15 days in advance

Email says: Maybe done on same day, depending on volume.

My personal experience in Nov 2014: It was issued 24 hours after I applied. On my 2nd exit in two years.

The Captain of Immigration at Manila Airport did indicate that Intramuros can fast track special cases in one day.

There is still some confusion, but the bottom line is that things are MUCH tighter on the ECC now, than a few weeks ago.

For visitors OVER 6 Months…


You CANNOT apply and Pay at the AIRPORT, not any more.

This is 99.999% certain  (That percentage used, to cover that odd one in a thousand that somehow manages it)

Good luck

BI Spokesperson Elaine Tan said that based on airport statistics, foreign nationals who failed to present their ECCs comprised 33% of travelers who were denied departure. “It is unfortunate that we have to deny the travel of our foreign friends, but we have to implement the law”, Tan said.

8 April 2015

And don’t forget the 550 pesos (in cash) for the Airport tax.  If you don’t have that (in cash), they WILL refuse you exit.  I saw it it happening, the young Canadian lady had no Philippine cash left, and was about to be refused boarding. I was standing next to her, and had spare cash, so I paid it for her, against the advice of the Immigration officer.

Bureau of Immigration Offices and Phone Numbers


BI Main Office. Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila. Tel: (02) 527-5657.

Angeles City

Marquee Mall, Aniceto Gueco St, Angeles City, 2009 Pampanga. (Clark BI office has closed)


BI Regional Office. P Burgos Street, Tribunal, Mandaue City, Cebu. Tel: (032) 345-6442/6443/6444.


BI Regional Office – Davao. BI Building, JP Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City, Tel: (082) 300-7258

We hope we have been of some assistance to you.

8,979.1 - 538,383
Scroll down for Comments

134 thoughts on “Philippines and the Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC)”

  1. I am not sure if you have read my letter regarding my grandnephew Brian was born in U.S and was brought by his mother to Philippines at 7 months old. She left her son with her mother and she went back to U.S. Now Brian is 24 years never left the Phil. He did not finish college because his parents could
    not support him. He would like to go back to the States but Phil. Immigration is charging him more than
    half million pesos for his 24 years of stay in Phil. I consulted the Philippines Consulate here in Houston
    stated that a child born in U.S. of Filipino parents is an American citizen under U.S. law and a Filipino
    citizen under Philippine law. This is because American citizenship is derived from the territory in which
    the person was born while Philippine citizenship is derived from the parent’s citizenship.His mother is still a Filipino citizen and his father is now American citizen. So that means Brian has dual citizenship.

    1. Your 24 year old Grandnephew (Brian) is being charged more than half a million pesos for his 24 years of stay in the Philippines because he is a US Citizen, trying to travel on a US passport. To leave on that passport, he must have uptodate visas for his entire stay, and that is the problem, and the cause of the expense.

      Note: Philippine Citizenship allows a person to STAY in the Philippines without a visa.
      But, they need a Philippine PASSPORT to be able to travel as a Philippine Citizen.
      Travelling on a Foreign Passport means having to abide by rules for a Foreign Citizen.

      You are correct that he can be a Dual Citizen, due to his mother being a Filipino citizen and him being born in America. Assuming of course that the Mother was still a Filipino citizen when the child was born.

      I mention that bit as I have a 24 year old daughter, born to a Philippine born mother. However, the mother took Australian citizenship before the birth, when Dual citizenship was not permitted in the Philippines, and therefore the mother lost her Philippine citizenship, and did not apply to resume that Citizenship before our daughter became 18. Due to that, our daughter was never eligible for Philippine citizenship.

      That may not be the case in your situation, but I mention it in case any other readers find it of relevance to them.

      Now… there may be an alternative option, much cheaper, to leave the Philippines and go to the USA.

      Does he have a Philippines passport? If NO, then he needs to get one, otherwise the costs relating to a US passport holder leaving the Philippines will apply. Once he has that then the following applies…

      If YES, and he has a Philippines passport, then he uses that to leave the country, and there will be NO visa fees to pay. NO half a million pesos cost.

      But… Leaving the Philippines to go to the US means showing an entry visa for the US. He can’t get one, as a US Citizen. But, all is not lost, keep reading.

      A Filipino can easily travel to other Asian countries, without needing a visa to go there. Malaysia and Hong Kong are two examples that I think are in that group.

      So, this is the easy answer…

      Brian goes to Hong Kong (or similar), using his Philippine passport. Does not mention his US Citizenship, nor any plans to go to the US. He is only going to Hong Kong. No visa requirements, no problems.

      Then, once in Hong Kong, he gets a ticket to the US, and uses his US passport. Again no visa requirements, no problems.

      Check current visa requirements for a Philippine Citizen flying to Malaysia or Hong Kong with a local travel agent.

      1. Hi good day,

        I am alexis louie escobar last december I finally got my us passport valid for 10 years now this october I am planning to go back to US this october but the travel agency requires me to have a exit clearance certificate because I stayed here in the ph for 29 years but I also have a ph passport but expired hope you can help me on this matter ty

        1. They normally work on the basis of the passport you are using to travel on. I doubt it would make much difference, even if it wasn’t expired. Although if it wasn’t expired you could fly to Hong Kong, as a Filipino, and then travel on to the US as a US passport holder. That avoids 29 years of back dated visa fees and penalties, and the ECC.

          If you fly using a fully refundable air ticket, you could take a chance, and show the old passport. It might work. Sometimes immigration do get it wrong, thinking it’s right. But the risk is being refused boarding and told to go to an Immigration office to sort out the Visa fees, and ECC. That would take a day or 2.

          Can you renew the Philippine passport ?

  2. Hi, i hope you can advice me about my daughter concern. My daughter was born in united kingdom, she have only british passport because no body advice me to report in birth certificate in philippines embassy in london. Now she’s in philippines right now. Almost for 3years first they give 1year balikbayan visa free after i pay her every 2months for her visa now my concern was my daughter need to exit this may12 and i can’t because im applying for spouse visa to uk and my passport hold by vfs immigration so i went yo bureaue of immigration in manila extend my daughter visa for to 2 months only. But they want to pay 32000 for only 2 months visa extension because i need to pay arrears. Can you help or advise me to least or discounted the amount to pay for visa pls

    1. I assume you have not been renewing her visa for some time, causing the 32,000 cost to renew. It can’t be 32,000 for just 2 months. 32,000 is more like the cost for 12 months overstay (

      Arranging Dual Citizenship for your daughter would be one answer, and might come in handy in the future too.

      Unfortunately, with only a week left before she leaves, this is basically not possible in time.

      I haven’t heard of anyone getting a discount for this.

      But if it is only two months overdue, then you should go back and ask why, as it should only be between about 6 and 13 thousand pesos.

  3. I’m canadian citizen and I just sponsor my wife who got a Phillipine passport and my daughter born in Philippines and my daughter juat got het Canadian passport and she is canadian citizen since birth ( April 06, 2011. She will be needing ecc clearance to leave Philippines can you please give me some idea how much it will cost us to get her the ecc. Thank you

  4. Hello.My ECC is valid till Nov 17 2016. I am on 9A and my SWP is valid till Nov 20 2016.But due to some reasons I would like to extend my stay here in philippines. Should i cancel my ECC ? What is the option i have in order to stay back here in phililippines?

  5. Im indian holders married a Filipino cityzn nd 2 children’s over stay in Philippines last 5 year. Pls advise me permanently residents apply

  6. Hi abcdiamond, my name is marites and i have a son who was born in canada to a canadian father and filipino mother and i took him down in philippines since he was 4 months. He is now 6 years old in the philippines, he has canadian passport and we just got his philippine passport i will going to get him this october 22 is our flight and we are using his canadian passport to exit the questions are; do we need to get ecc to exit thecountry even he has filipino passport?
    How much do we have to pay for his overstaying in the philippines?
    Please reply asap thank you

    1. The BoI say that anyone traveling on a foreign passport must abide by visa conditions of that passport.

      However, if he uses his Filipino passport to fly to a non visa required country first, and then fly from there to Canada, there would be no issues.

  7. I am married to an indian national and have a 4 yrs old daughter with indian passport .she came her in the Phil’s. April 2013 and her visit visa is expired last June 2013. I was not able to extend her visa and as per to BI in Cebu last January the penalty costs 133k more or less.
    My question is
    *-.what do i need to do without paying that much coz we plan to go India early next yr.?

    1. From everything I have seen and experienced, you need an ECC to exit the country, after more than six months in the Philippines.

      To get an ECC, you need all visas up to date, with a valid ACR-i card. Otherwise they refuse boarding at the airport.
      I assume you have not both left the country at any time, and returned on a Balikbayan visa after marriage ?

      Immigration appear to enforce the law on paying for Visas, one way or the other.

      You will almost certainly need to pay the correct fees.

  8. Hi abcdiamond
    Its been more than 1 week since the day we flew from philippines to germany, we are lucky that we found your blog , it really help a lot especially to my son,,,, we are now here in germany last may 18 we flew and happy we are here now reuniting of my husband family…finally all is ok and weve done very well the ECC-A process in Immigration. Thanks a lot.and just want add some helpful Information about the ECC-a requirements and all for those who needed some info too…
    Here are list:
    Birth certificate of my son
    Passport copy of my son, and mother passpOrt copy too for i am the legal parents of child that travel with him.
    Itineray ticket
    Id photo of child and mother

    And because my son is just 1 year and 11 months that day i paid for about P 8,022.00 all.and this ECC-A can be apply a week before the departure date…i apply my ECC-a on may 11 and i get this may 16..thats all


  9. Hey! I have a Japanese passport, and Identification Certificate that states I’m a Filipino citizen, though I don’t have a Philippine passport.

    I’m leaving the country temporarily for the first time, will I need an ECC? Or is my Identification Certificate enough to prove that I’m not a Foreign National, but a dual citizen?

    After all there’s a clause that states, PH-born Foreign Nationals have to file an ECC if leaving for the first time.

    1. They look at it very simply. You are travelling on a foreign passport, therefore you will be treated as a foreigner. Travel on a Filipino passport and they will treat you as a Filipino.
      Whether you are a dual citizen or not, they look at the passport you are travelling on to determine your status.

      As a foreigner you will generally need valid Visa’s for your time in the Philippines (as a foreigner), an ACR card if applicable, and an ECC on leaving, if having stayed over 6 months.

      Some Dual citizens would get a Philippine Passport, travel to a non visa required country, (eg: Hong Kong etc) then come back on the foreign passport to start a valid visa history in the Philippines.

  10. Thank you so much for the answer.and i will update more about my process.anyone that already been in BI to get this Ecc.kindly post here.thank you

  11. Thank you for your response ABCDiamond. Do you know if a philippine born foreign national requires and ARC-I card to apply for an ECC-A? If you’re not sure can you please refer me to the relevant informational hotline.

  12. Dear ABC diamond, my child who is 1 year and 9 months old has a Filipino passport and also a British passport what she received in Januarary this year (The British one) My wife has to go to the BI on the 13th May to see them, will our daughter need an EEC? And also does my wife has to show both passports to them? Also how much will it all cost us. Could you guide us through what to do please?

    1. Travelling on a Foreign Passport even a child needs an ECC. It cost me 500 pesos for one. I am unsure about needing to show both passports, but taking more than is expected is always a good thing, just in case. You may need to sort out Visa issues for the child too. Depending on how they interpret the rules, your child may have needed a Visa since becoming a foreign citizen.. Some of the rules are just insane..

  13. Hi ABCDiamond, I need some clarification regarding the ECC. My Niece is a Philippine born Australian Citizen by Descent. She is currently 9 months old.
    In your previous response to another question, I’ve noted the requirements for an ECC. I noticed that an ARC card was needed. On the immigration website, it lists down a few ARC-I Card types. Which one does she apply for and can she apply for the ARC card and the ECC on the same day?

    Many thanks in advance

    1. The type of ACR card depends on the Visa being held, most commonly a Tourist Visa in my experiences.
      All foreign nationals under immigrant and non-immigrant visas including holders of Temporary Visitor’s Visa, who have stayed for more than fifty nine (59) days in the Philippines.

      My personal experience was that you can only apply for an ACR card at the same time as an application for a Visa.
      I then had to apply for a one month visa extension (even though my 6 month visa was valid for 3 more months), so I could apply for an ACR card, so I could then get the ECC, so I could leave the country in the next few days !!!!

      I applied for all this. Visa, ACR card and ECC all on the same day. I was dealt with by a very sympathetic officer who totally understood my feelings, but explained that he had to follow the rules.

  14. i am looking for the cost of ecc-A FOR MY SON this is the first time we will travel out of the country thats why we need this ecc-a,and we are supposed to leave philippines for good to germany as permanent residence visa this may 19,thank you and anyone who have been processed already ecc-a for there child hope fully you can post message here too so i can get an idea….thank you

    1. In late 2015 the cost for an Emigration Clearance Certificate, ECC-A was 500 pesos.

      But I also had to pay another 5,285 to renew my ACR card (3,485) and bring my visa up to date with another one month visa fee (1,800).

      An ECC-A is issued to departing Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time.

      Requirements for an ECC

      The Philippines Bureau of Immigration (BI) has stated that the following are needed to get an ECC – Exit Clearance Certificate (also called Emigration Clearance Certificate)
      Completed application forms. (They supply numerous forms for you to fill in !!)

      6 pcs. colored photo (size 2×2 ) white background. (NOTE: SIX were needed, not the FIVE that web sites say).
      Photocopy of passport (3 Pages: biopage, latest arrival stamp and last visa extension stamp).
      Photo of both sides of Alien Certificate of Registration ACR card. (Must be Current NOT Expired)
      Photocopy AND Original of the Receipt for payment of last visa extension fees.
      A personal appearance is required for fingerprinting, both electronic scanning and manual ink, and photograph.

      The ACR card can take one month to be ready, but you can leave the Philippines without it, (keep the receipt for payment of it with you though) as long as you have the ECC.

  15. i am filipina and my son was born here in philippines and he is 1 yr and 11 months old now and he just got his german passport last year of february and now we got our visa for permanent residence to germany which we are about to leave philippines this may 19 2016 .i just ask if as a child of 1 year and 11 months old does he still needs this ACR card?

    1. The cost for an ACR-I card quoted for a minor (under 14) is US$50 + Php 500.00. The same rate as 14-15 and Adults (16+).

      There is nothing stated to exclude any age group. But you should check with the nearest BoI as soon as you can, to ensure you have time to arrange everything before your flight.

  16. my son was born is philippines may 25 2014 and this may 15 his 2 years old already,he is a german passport holder and we are about to leave the philippines may 19 with a permanent residence visa issued by german embassy but this time we have to get the ECC-A for my son as he is philippine-born foreign national that travel out of the country for the first time this have been told us in the immigration last april 29 which we about to leave but were offloaded due to lack of this ecc and now my ask is ,the requirements for ecc is it enough his passport,birth certificate,and baptismal,id picture and our visa to get this ecc and pay certain amount?how much would i pay for my son for he is already 1 year and 11 months?thank you :)just if you have idea…

  17. Hi! My baby was born in the Philippines, he is 1 year old now, we need to go to russia (im Russian), so we got russian passport in embassy in march (so it was 2 months ago). Now he needs to get ECC? Even if he has russian citizenship for 2 months only, besides he has only NSO birth certificate, no filipino passport coz we didnt plan to travel.

    1. Yes. According to the rules, as your child is leaving as a foreign citizen, by virtue of using a foreign passport, he will be treated as such.

      To get the ECC he may also need to be upto date with a visa for the Philippines… And that means paying the penalties.

      It’s a mess, but it seems there is no choice, unless the rules get changed.

      A Philippine passport would allow him to fly out to any country that has no visa requirements, with ease, and then fly anywhere from there on the foreign passport.

  18. Hi my friend born in US and is a dual citizen (British/American) though his mom is a Filipino. They went back here in the Philippines 15 years ago. His mom died 8 years ago and he was abandoned by his British-American dad. And now he is over staying here in the Philippines for 15 years. He still has his US passport but don’t have Philippine passport. Also, he have his special birth certificate from DFA to be able to study here in the Philippines.

    Here are my questions:

    1. We are planning to travel abroad. What are the processes to apply for a Philippine passport?
    2. He still has his relatives in the US. What if he wants to go back to the US and continue his US citizenship does he need to pay for an overstaying (though he can’t afford) or grounds for deportation?

    1. I would look into the possibilities of getting a Philippine Passport. That way he can then fly out to a non visa required country without using a US passport and getting penalties for overstaying.

      He then starts again with a clean start.

      Other than that, it would seem that the overstay penalties will apply.

      Having a special birth certificate from DFA, and having a Philippine parent may help. It might depend on his age though. Up to age 18, I am sure that it can be done, but over 18 I am not sure.

  19. Do i need to get a clearance certificate in BI even im using philippine passport if im going to Australia as a first time immigrant? Im currently holding a provisional partner’s visa subclass 309. Thanks!

  20. She don’t need no visa since she is US Citizen by birth, they are saying since they didn’t apply for dual citizen she overstayed there by three years that means that three years that she stayed there she was like tourist. Now my question is since her exit clearance is going to expired this Dec. 25,2015. And if they apply again for her next exit clearance is it the same payment what they paid the first time 12,000 pesos or just 500 pesos. Thank you.

  21. My grand daughter was born in the Philippines Dec. 10, 2012, my son petition her and now my grand daughter is a US citizen. At that time we don’t know about dual citizen so when my son’s fiancée went to her seminar to CFO they told her that her daughter needs exit clearance since she doesn’t have Philippine passport. So they told her to go to the Immigration, the first time she went there they said she need to pay 5,000 pesos and submit of the requirements but when she went back the next day they said her daughter overstayed for almost 3 years since she has only US passport and they told her to pay 12,000 pesos, so she went back again the next day to pay for that amount 12,000 pesos. My question is since the exit clearance is good only for one month and is going to expired this Dec. 25,2015 and they can’t come here yet that day so my son’s fiancée called at the immigration and ask them how much she’s going to pay again if she will apply for another exit clearance and they told her same amount 12,000 pesos again, is this true. I need the answer ASAP.

    1. If all visas are current and up to date, the ECC should be between 500 and about 1,200 pesos. Just remember to keep the visa renewals up to date. The 12,000 seems like unpaid visa and penalty payments for the first 3 years.

  22. hi,

    ask ko lng nun anak 3 years old na may us passport then coming na nun phil passport nia. tanong k lng kailangan pb nia kumuha ng ECC sa BI miski meron na cia both passport.. I ned asap na sagot.

    thank you

  23. i would like to ask if i need exit clearance, i come in philippines 30 march 2015 and i have fly from manila at 30 september 2015 i have to got exit clearance?

    1. I heard something similar before, at exactly 6 months, and it comes down to how the Immigration officer decides it. I read that one person was denied exit without it, even though they said they hadn’t been here for the full 6 months, by a few hours.

      If I was you, I would be going to a BoI and asking them. In fact I would get an ECC anyway, just to save the worry about whether they let me out or not. I went through that once, I don’t fancy that again.

      You will have been here for 184 days. That could be 6 x 30 day months PLUS 4 days IF they choose to work it out that way.
      OR 365 days = 12 months, therefore 184 days is 6 months (365/2=182 days) + 2 days
      Either of those calculations puts you in trouble.

      I have seen 30 days being used as a month on many BoI pages, but never 31.

      Good luck.

  24. The ECC-B is done at the BI Main Office or in the airport upon departure.

    I’d probably apply in advance, (if living local to a BoI office) as I get scared of things changing here..

    I can’t find the cost on the BoI website but have read that it is 2,880 pesos for the ECC-B, which is basically a re-entry permit too, and valid for 1 year.

    I’ve just gone past 6 months again, so I will need another ECC-A next time I leave.

  25. I have a Quota Visa in a US passport. So it seems that I also need the ECC if I stay over 6 month and I can receive this at the airport – ECC-B as I will be returning within the month. Also I suppose I need to pay the travel tax? So I will pay travel tax and how much for the ECC-B and is this paid in the same place as the travel tax?

    So confusing.

  26. If you have it in writing from the Boi then you can show that to any immigration officer that does try to say you need the ECC. So you are covered.

    Unfortunately those without that have to abide by what the officer at the airport immigration decides. Whether right or wrong.

    What this proves is that there can be TWO decisions for the same family situation, and no one can be sure which they will get.

  27. thats the case i have Visa so there is no need for my child to get the ECC.. and i talked to the immigration officer myself at the bureau of Immigration last week and they said there is no need for the child to get the exit clearance for he is a dual passport holder. i also have the message sent to me from the immigration that my child doesn’t need ECC.

  28. @shiemae. In theory, you would think that to be the case. However, in practice, it is down to the immigration officer at the time, and how he/she interprets the regulations. And some ARE refused exit without.

    If they say you can’t, you are always free to appeal (days or weeks or months?), while waiting for your next flight after missing your scheduled flight.

    Unfortunately, there have been cases of being born in Philippines, and with both passports, and still being refused for not having an ECC.

    One actual example being the person above, who posted on May 25, after her son, Philippine born and holder of Philippine and overseas passport, being refused exit without an ECC.

    Because of this, if people want to ensure being allowed to leave, pay the small price for an ECC, and avoid the possibility of missed flights, lost cost of tickets etc etc.

    If you have a VISA in your Philippines passport, then the ECC would not be needed, but an ECC is easier to get, in an overseas passport, and cheaper, than a Visa.

  29. if your child is born here in the Philippines and if he has a Philippine passport and a foreign passport, your child doesn’t need an Exit Clearance Certificate..

  30. Re the Girlfriend:

    If she travels out of the Philippines on a US passport, then, from what I have previously seen and heard, she WILL need an ECC, being a foreigner, even though a Philippine born one.

    If she travels on a Philippine passport, and on a Permanent Visa, then she will NOT need an ECC, but she WILL need to attend the “Commission on Filipinos Overseas: Guidance And Counselling course, and then apply for the CFO Certificate/stamp in her passport, once she has a Visa.

    This is NOT required if she only has a Tourist Visa.

    My guess will be she has NO visa, and therefore will need to travel on the US passport, and will need an ECC.

    One option to avoid this is to travel from Philippines to Malaysia, on a Philippine Passport, where no Visa is required, and then fly to US from there, avoiding both ECC and CFO requirements.

    However, an ECC is easier and cheaper 🙂

    For yourself, you seem to have that sorted. You say you can get it done in Iloilo?
    The main Boi does not list Iloilo as being authorised to do that. However, who knows how out of date their website is.

    The Current listing of what they can do is shown as:
    Iloilo Immigration District Office
     ACR I-Card Issuance, Reissuance and Renewal
     Annual Report
     Extension of Authorized Stay of Temporary Visitors
     Special Study Permit (SSP)
     Special Work Permit (SWP)
    Updated as of 22 May 2014

    However, I did hear that Iloilo were expecting to be able to begin issuing ECC’s in July 2014

  31. Ok I have tourst visa. been here over 6 months. I know i have to have ecc. ok question s im in iloilo.immigration here told me i can get ecc here in loilo. I asked them when i extend my do i go to manila or get it here same day in iloilo.
    also phlippine national girl friend is now a usa ctezin. does she need ecc also ecc b maybe. she says no but want to make sure.

  32. my 8 year old us citizen son left the Philippines last December 2014 and we paid 21,000 pesos for the ECC.

    1. Do you have a breakdown of that cost from the receipt. The normal cost should be nearer 500 pesos. The amount I paid last year. 21,000 pesos seems a very high price to pay.

  33. This is something that I get puzzled with in the Philippines.
    If you were going to a country that allows Filipinos in without a Visa, then your child could leave the Philippines on his Philippine passport.
    You could then fly to Iceland from that country on his Iceland passport.

    But: The Philippines needed to complicate it…

    A Philippine Government department are saying that a Philippine Citizen, needs to have a Visa from birth, to be in the Philippines, just because he has duel citizenship !!

    However, it seems you may need the ECC and pay the fine, just to get him out of the Philippines.

    This issue should be tackled in court because it is stupid. When he comes back, he will be on his Philippine passport and treated as a Philippines Citizen, why not now ??
    He is a Philippines Citizen NOW, so why is he classed as an overstayer ?

    This issue raises my blood pressure. But I know that some rules are stringent, and you should go to the BoI and get it done by them, just to get out….

  34. hi good day..
    my son is 2yrs old and a philippine passport holder and an EMERGENCY ICELANDIC PASSPORT holder.. but his Philippine passport dont have visa because the ICELAND IMMIGRATION won’t give him a visa for he is an Icelandic citizen..
    my question is what are the requirements to get an ECC for my son? because we can’t use his philippine passport because it has no visa..
    and how much should i pay for an ECC?
    and is it true that i have to pay for his 2years of overstaying here in the philippines?

    1. 2 years of overstaying here in the philippines?
      As he holds a Philippine passport he does not need a visa, and is therefore not liable to any overstay fines.
      That is my common sense view on that question.

      For the next question, I have to consider the fact that the Philippines is sometimes a bit unusual.
      For most dual citizens, which your son appears to be, you leave the country on the passport for that country and enter the other country on the passport for that country.
      Example: I am British/Australian. I leave Australia with my Australian passport and enter Britain on my British passport.

      Your son SHOULD be able to leave the Philippines on his Philippine Passport, and enter Iceland with his Icelandic passport.
      You may need to show both passports to Philippines Immigration, but I am not sure.

      Cost of ECC
      I paid 500 pesos for my Philippine ECC. In theory your son will not need one. BUT.. Please check with your nearest Bureau of Immigration.

      1. yes that was said to me when i attend the seminar at the Commission on Filipino Overseas (CFO) that i should get him an ECC and i have to pay for his overstaying here in the Philippines for two years because he is an Icelandic citizen..
        i’m afraid we can’t depart on our day of departure because of this problem…
        so i should get him an ECC in able for him to leave the Philippines?

  35. Hii my son has philippines passport and british passport and We live here in japan we’re planning to go the philippines for 10 days when we going back here in japan do I need an exit clearance for my son?when we depart in the philippines thank you

    1. 2 Reasons why this will NOT be required:

      1: Any visit under 6 months to the Philippines does NOT require an ECC.
      2: Travel on a Philippines passport, and an ECC will NOT be required.

      Over 6 months (on a single visit) in the Philippines AND on an overseas passport would require an ECC

  36. I have been in the philippines 9 months, but not all at one time. was here 1 month then back to usa for 3 months then back to ph 4 months ths then back to usa 2 months and now back been here 4 months plan to stay another month. does that mean i been here 6 months total or is it 6 months from last arrivel? this is for ecc clearence

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.