Philippines and the Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC)

Emigration Clearance Certificate or Exit Clearance Certificate..

Update April 2015

An Emigration Clearance Certificate [ECC] is needed when leaving the Philippines after a stay of 6 months or more.

Any child, born in the Philippines, but travelling on a Foreign passport, NEEDS an ECC to leave the Philippines.  A notice to this effect is on display at a Bureau of Immigration office.

The ECC-A may be secured at the BI Main Office or in select District Offices, Satellite Offices, Field Offices, One-Stop-Shops.
ECC-A is issued to departing holders of Tourist Visas who have stayed for 6 months or more.

The ECC-B may be secured at the BI Main Office or in the airport upon departure.
ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

Update November 2014

The cost is 500 pesos for an Emigration Clearance Certificate, ECC-A (3rd Nov 2014 at Angeles Office)
The cost for an ECC-B was quoted as 2,850 pesos by another person in November.

Update April 2014

A foreign national may apply for an ECC at least 72 hours prior to his/her departure from the Philippines.

The ECC is valid for one (1) month from the date of issue, however, you may only use this once regardless of its validity.

The ECC can now be obtained from various BI offices around the Philippines.

See also: How Long is the Philippines ECC valid

This WAS the latest information, as at September 13th 2013, on the facts about the Philippines and the Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC).

WOW, after reading many forums I can see that there is a LOT of confusion about this.

Here are the FACTS, from “the horses mouth” as they say.

All Philippines Exit Points were notified of a NEW ruling on the ECC in a memorandum dated September 13th 2013.

Anyone on a visitor visa that has stayed OVER SIX months, MUST apply for an Exit Clearance Certificate BEFORE departure, at the main BI Office, NOT at the airport or regional offices.

All Philippines Immigration Offices have been told to advise anyone that applies for an extension visa taking them over the 6 months limit, about this rule.

This ruling is VERY strict, with disciplinary action against any Immigration Staff member that allows any exemptions.

The ECC being referred to here (ECC-A), relates ONLY to those foreign visitors that have been in the Philippines for 6 months or over.  There is a different, less problematic one for those shorter term visitors.

Since 2001, there has been a rule that every visitor, that has stayed for over 6 months, must get an ECC before leaving.  Some immigration officers have enforced this, with payment at the airport office, and some have been more relaxed.

But the rules have changed a few times, with the latest one being issued on a memorandum dated September 13th 2013.  This I have seen personally, during my interview with the Captain of Immigration at Manila Airport.

It clearly says that anyone having stayed OVER 6 months MUST apply FIFTEEN DAYS in ADVANCE for an ECC at BI Intramuros, Manila.

It was explained to me that they now have no choice, but to enforce this rule without exemption.

Even a new baby, TWO DAYS OLD, was refused exit as they didn’t have the ECC for it.

DO NOT BLAME THE AIRPORT STAFF !!  They do not like it either

ALL Philippine Exit Clearance Certificates MUST be applied for at the Bureau of Immigration(BI), Magallanes Drive, Port Area, Intramuros, Manila, (02) 527-3257 or (02) 338-4542

Although the above words are what I saw, I am going to assume that different memos were sent to the other areas, and applications may also be made personally at Davoa and Cebu.  But I am NOT 100% certain about that.  I do know that they CANNOT be applied for anywhere else in Luzon, other than Intramuros. And that includes anyone coming from Mindoro.  (Cebu and Davao are classed as regional offices on some sites I have seen.)  Update Nov 2014. Many Offices now do the ECC’s, including Angeles City, Pampanga.

This is an email from the BI after the event:

Please be informed that a temporary visitor with a total length of stay exceeding 6 months shall comply with the regular clearance certificate requirement at the Alien Registration Division, Bureau of Immigration, Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila (main office).


  • Duly filled-up application form,
  • 5 pcs. colored photo (size 2×2 ) white background,
  • Photocopy of passport (biopage, latest arrival stamp and visa extension stamp)
  • Receipt for payment of appropriate immigration fees

*Please take note that personal appearance is required for fingerprinting.


Express Lane Fee                                   Php          500.00

*Additional fees may be required upon checking of documents

ECC                                        Php          700.00

ACR                                                     1,010.00

Additional ACR                                        500.00

Additional ECC                                        500.00


For applications filed in the morning, certificates will be released in the afternoon while for applications filed in the afternoon, certificates will be released the following business day.  (But still depends on the volume of the applicants)

Please be informed that ECC for tourists may only be applied at the BI main office and the same may not be applied at any international airports.

If you will depart without the ECC, then you will be denied departure or offloaded.

It differs from the Memo given to the Airport Staff in the timeline part.

Memo says:  Applications must be made 15 days in advance

Email says: Maybe done on same day, depending on volume.

My personal experience in Nov 2014: It was issued 24 hours after I applied. On my 2nd exit in two years.

The Captain of Immigration at Manila Airport did indicate that Intramuros can fast track special cases in one day.

There is still some confusion, but the bottom line is that things are MUCH tighter on the ECC now, than a few weeks ago.

For visitors OVER 6 Months…


You CANNOT apply and Pay at the AIRPORT, not any more.

This is 99.999% certain  (That percentage used, to cover that odd one in a thousand that somehow manages it)

Good luck

BI Spokesperson Elaine Tan said that based on airport statistics, foreign nationals who failed to present their ECCs comprised 33% of travelers who were denied departure. “It is unfortunate that we have to deny the travel of our foreign friends, but we have to implement the law”, Tan said.

8 April 2015

And don’t forget the 550 pesos (in cash) for the Airport tax.  If you don’t have that (in cash), they WILL refuse you exit.  I saw it it happening, the young Canadian lady had no Philippine cash left, and was about to be refused boarding. I was standing next to her, and had spare cash, so I paid it for her, against the advice of the Immigration officer.

Bureau of Immigration Offices and Phone Numbers


BI Main Office. Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila. Tel: (02) 527-5657.

Angeles City

Marquee Mall, Aniceto Gueco St, Angeles City, 2009 Pampanga. (Clark BI office has closed)


BI Regional Office. P Burgos Street, Tribunal, Mandaue City, Cebu. Tel: (032) 345-6442/6443/6444.


BI Regional Office – Davao. BI Building, JP Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City, Tel: (082) 300-7258

We hope we have been of some assistance to you.

11,389.1 - 677,116
Scroll down for Comments
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Oh. Thanks a lot for that. This clears up lot of doubts. Thanks again. You are doing a great job here. Cheers 🙂


I would like to know if the 6 month period is for continuous stay(6 months from date of entry) or totaling 6 months stay in the Philippines(in and out of country, not continuously but have stayed more than 6 months in Philippines).

Could you clarify?

Thank you so much for the response. We went today at the Bureau of Immigration and they said my husband needs an exit clearance and re-entry permit while the baby needs only her Philippine and Japanese passport to depart. I’m very confused now, as you’ve said she needs an ECC-A which is: Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time. I’ve already asked many times the BI officer regarding this matter but they kept telling me that the baby only needs her dual passport. I’m afraid that at the time of our departure the BI officer at the airport might say we need an ECC-A for the baby.

Hi. I would like to ask if my japanese husband(has13avisa holder)and 5-month-old daughter who’s dual citizen needs ECC. We will temporarily leave the country next week. Hope for your response. Thank you.

another question Sir/Madam… If my daughter uses her Philippine passport, will she need to have a visa to travel to Australia? Can you tell me what requirements will she bring when she travels?

Thank you so much and more power….

My 2 year and 2 month old daughter was approved of her Citizenship by descent last month. She will leave for Australia for the first time by December, this year. Can you advise me on how much will be the computation for her Exit Clearance Certificate?
Pls.. take note that she has a Philippine passport and applying for Australian passport. If she will use the Philippne passport to travel Australia, will she need a visa? and if she will use Australian passport, she needs ECC and no Visa?

Thank you so much. God bless

It’s a travel documents that Malaysian embassy give to my son so he can go to malaysia n process his passport der. Do I nid to register my son at BI or just get ECC

Hi I just want to clear things up, coz BI officer don’t allow my 4months old baby to travel out da country. My baby don’t have a Philippine passport wat he have is a travel docs from Malaysian embassy. It’s lyk a 1 way pass going to Malaysia da BI officer told me dat I nid to registered da baby to da BI n have an ECC… My question is do I really nid to register my baby at the BI n get ecc or I just get ecc only? What is really da requirements of a foriegn born in the Philippines dat don’t have a Philippine passport n just 4months old… Thanks in advance…

My daughter is almost 2yrs old she has a US Passport since her dad is American but we are currently living in the Philippines since I’m a Filipino. We are planning on going to HongKong for our Holiday Vacation this December 2014 this will be her first out of the country vacation , I’m just wondering do i need to get her an ECC? even though we will still be coming back in the Philippines since we live here?


I need to leave Philippines on an urgent business this Friday. I have been in this country for more than 8months so obviously I need to get ECC clearance from the BI office tomorrow. I was wondering if there is a express service for this. Do they give the clearance certificate within a day ? I mean its obvious they charge for everything, but still a express fine is a lot cheaper than a airline ticket.. 🙂

Appreciate a quick reply.

Good day. My son is a new Zealand citizen by descent and was born in the Philippines 4 years ago
The immigration didn’t allow my wife to leave Philippines yesterday..they require her an exit clearance which we don’t have any idea about and my travel agent here in Australua doesn’t even know.worst i have to rebook them again costing me 270 dollars per person for four main question is why POEA charging my wife for the exit clearance for 4 years since my son was born where else my son just became a new Zealand by descent 5 months ago and that exit clearance rule became effective only a year ago

thanks reply .


You said like that

“@Koh… The ECC-B may be obtained in the airport upon departure. Nice and easy”

Are you 100% sure??

And How much the cost of getting ECC-B ??

My nephew was born in japan last 2002 to a japanese father, my sister is a filipino citizen. The child was brought here with a japanese passport. Attended school here and now the child is 11 years old. My sister applied a report of birth at the philippine embassy in japan, having the opprtunity for the child to have a philippine paaaport. Now my sister plans to fetch his son to go
To japan for vacation. Does he needs to secure exit clearance? Does he needs to present both his japanese and philippine upon passports to the immigration counter. I think they will be leaving on the 26 th of this
month? Please we need your answer asap, thanks

Yes they both have philippine birth certificate,but they dont hve phil passport and they hve’nt leave country since they were born.. What i was trying to know is why they would be charged them for over staying even though they dont leave the country since they were born..?

Hi, i had 2 kids.. which is both born in phil.. we were suppose to leave the country last april, but they did not allow them to leave since they were born in phil, and they do not hve phil passport.. they were asking for a ecc. i decided to jst leave them both cuz my visa was about to exprired in 2 days, and i could’nt wait no longer to get them ecc.. so until now my kids still in phil.. i wonder how much it cost for my both kids to get them ecc? my daughter was turn to 2 years old on sept. and my son was 8 month old.. cuz ive heard that they would be charge for over staying i dont know wat is all about.. they hve’nt leave the country since my daughter was born.. for almost 2 years now…

I came to the Philippines with my Filipino wife who is a British citizen, they gave me a one year visa. I’am staying here for 11 months, would I require an E.C.C. A friend of mine who is also married to a Filipino said when he returned to England did not get one, he was not stoped and went through. What say you….Thanks.

Here’s the entire press release on the ECC policy. Permanent residents still have the option to get their ECC-B at the airport when they leave.


Bureau of Immigration (BI) OIC-Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison advised foreign nationals to secure an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) before leaving the country to ensure that they will not experience problems at the Bureau’s counters upon their departure.

An important pre-departure document, the ECC is issued to foreigners who are holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas who are leaving the country. It has two types, the ECC-A (also referred to as Regular ECC) and the ECC-B.

The ECC-A is given to departing foreigners to serve as proof that they do not have any derogatory records in the country and no pending obligations with the government. It may be secured at the BI Main Office or in select District Offices1, Satellite Offices2, Field Offices3, One-Stop-Shop4.

OIC Mison said that foreigners who should secure the ECC-A are those holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for more than six (6) months or more; holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas; holders of Native Born status who will depart from the Philippines for the first time; holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Final Extension and are subjects of Orders to Leave and Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from the BI.

The ECC-B, Mison said, is being issued by the Bureau to holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily. It is a single-use receipt issued to evidence their Special Return Certificate (SRC) (for Non-Immigrants) or Reentry Permit (RP) (for Immigrants) which is valid for one (1) year. It may be secured at the BI Main Office or in the airport upon departure.

The BI chief warned foreigners against procuring fake and fraudulently issued ECCs from unauthorized private entities and individuals offering to provide this document.

“Any person found in possession of such spurious document shall be charged for violating the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 or Commonwealth Act 613, as amended,” Mison said.

Mison further noted that in due time, the Bureau will come up with automated ECC Kiosks to centralize and simplify the process of issuing the ECC.

Appreciate for the reply .

But I want to make sure , what u said ↓ is about ECC-A, isnt it?

A foreign national may apply for an ECC at least 72 hours prior to his/her departure from the Philippines.
The ECC is valid for one (1) month from the date of issue, however, you may only use this once regardless of its validity.]

Or also that goes for ECC-B as well ??

I am going to another country this August.
I came here in Philippines last September, more than 6 month.
And I have a 9G visa which expired this coming September.

SO , I think I have to get ECC-B.
Is that correct ?
And Where to get ? According to my secretary , In the Cebu Mactan Airport (Im living in Cebu).

I dont wanna make same mistake.
(This April I couldnt go out from here. Because of No ECC !!!
the airplane thicket value became less than the toilet paper.)

Hello I just ask my husband arrive here in the phillppines last January 18 and he back to London this July 14 does he need to get ECC tnx

Hi! My son departed manila,philippines last june 20,2014.He’s a holder of phil &US passports. He was recognized as a Filipino Citizen. When he’s about to check in the attendant is asking for exit clearance from the immigration.The lady said that this is their policy. MY question is do they really need to ask a holder of phil. & US Passport an exit clearance from the immigration???Thanks a lot

Does the ECC requirement apply to SRRV holders? The PRA website says SRRV holders are exempt from “Exit and re-entry permits of the Bureau of Immigration” but I am concerned that I will find out that there are changes when I am prevented from departing.

We applied my Canadian born son for dual citizenship now my husband paid 13000 in immigration for identification certificate my husband is planning to bring my son to hongkong does he still need the exit clearance before they leave for hongkong? Thanks we are just confused and don’t know what to do. Hoping ur reply will help us thanks

My husband already applied for Philippine passport but the release date will be July 8 they booked their hk trip on June 22.

hi, my son just got his citizenship by descent last 17February 2014,its his 1st passport.i would like to ask if he still same amount.before he will travel next month.

Here is the upate to my concerns about departing as a 13A visa holder. The ECC requirement for perm’s mandate that you just pay your P2,850 at the Immigration counter at the time of departure. No change from previous procedures.

I am a regular visitor to the Philippines for the last 20 years and an acr-i card holder. I arrived in Manila on April 25th and will be leaving on July 18th, a total of three months. My arrival stamp in my passport also contains a reminder stamp not to forget my E.C.C. when I leave ? I am a tourist visa holder.

Does anyone know if they ask for ecc when you are exactly 180Days because i stayed in 180Days and leaving on day 181 does it require a ecc or do they ignore it? The migration Office told me i didnt need one since i not extending six months.

can anybody explain me when the clearances exit is refused? Which are the reasons? The recruitment agency said that the baby sitter I waiting for has not received the exit clearance…What this means? She cannot exit from the country now, can she apply again? Tks for aquick answer..

Well, as usual, there always seems to be conflicting information about departing the Philippines, right up until the day of departure. I’m headed to Guam for meetings on Tuesday 8th of April, and am just now hearing that I, as a 13A Visa holder and Permanent ACR-I Card resident, need an exit clearance and cannot get my ECC at the airport. I may be screwed if that is the case. I hope someone could shed some clarity on this for me.

Hello my norwegian bf hes been here in more than 6 months were stayin in cebu
but he thinks he will leave the country next month but he dont have ticket yet because the tv crew in norway will pick him up here is it possible to get ecc ?even he dont have ticket and dont know exactly w
hen he gonna leave..and how many days before he go to immigration? To get ecc

Does this apply to 13a permenant immigrant visas.
I am such, presently working in the Gulf. I leave Sunday having been back for a week visiting my family.
Do I need to go to intramuros or do I do the usual in paying Php2,880 at the airport after departure tax and prior to passport clearance.

With thanks

The Philippine Government is in a mess in the worse possible way.

To Implement the ECC, the Philippines needs the infrastructure to make this happen with out costing visitors from other countries millions of dollars in re-booking fee, cost of a new flight, hotel accommodations and taxi fairs. Because of the 7000 plus islands, doesn’t the word LOGISTICS SOUND FAMILIAR.

Even though the ECC has been in place for years, the new BI Commission suddenly announced with no thought of the cost to the visitors to the Philippines. The cost of loss to the visitors is only advantageous to the Philippine government.

The ECC has always been paid at the airport, but now they want to suddenly enforce the rule of law on how to do it correctly.
Apparently their are secret tape recordings of Commissioner “Mison,” “This isn’t about stream lining but about revenue and Americans will pay what we ask.”

Ok, if that is true, Americans have lost tens of thousands of dollars because they were not allowed to board their flights and were turned away from boarding.
Of these people 100 percent had to repay for their flight, book another flight to a motel where the ECC is accepted.

The newly appointed “BI Commissioner Mison,” is a graduated from Havard in the United States, but he has communist ties to the Dictator from Marcos Era, and caresless about people from other countries especially the United States.

I say people from other countries should not allowed to study in the United States from Communist types of countries. Mison should be bitched slapped for doing what it did with out giving proper notice.

thnk u for the info she has been 7mos older this month and we want to flight going to australia in the end of the month..

hi i want to ask if how much money to get my child exit clearance she is an aussi citizen..

according to BI in manila last week they told me it will take up to 3 days but if u go early morning could be completed same day. The problem
is how long it is valid for…one at the immigration said 1 month whilst another said only 3 days!!!

hello! i confused coz this is the first travel of my 6mos. daugther going to australia do i need to get exit clearance for travel?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x