School fees for children of Student Visa holders in Australia
Student Visa holders in Australia are required to pay full International Studying fees for any children attending school in Australia.
Some classes of overseas students are exempt from payment of fees and some individual overseas students are able to seek an exemption from payment of the fees.
Some quoted annual fees are as follows:
Queensland Government schools dependant children Education Fees
- $8,000 Prep year
- $8,000 Primary (years 1 to 7)
- $8,000 Junior secondary (years 8-10)
- $8,800 Senior secondary (years 11-12)
Victoria Government schools Full Fee Dependants Fees
- $6,790 Prep to Grade 6
- $8,998 Junior secondary (years 7-10)
- $10,053 Senior secondary (years 11-12)
New South Wales Government schools Student Education Fees
- $4,500 Primary (Kindergarten to year 6) or $9,160 on 571P Visa
- $4,500 Junior High (years 7-10) or $10,820 on 571P Visa
- $5,500 Senior High (years 11-12) or $12,820 on 571P Visa
Note: NSW and ACT tend to be more expensive than the other states.
Western Australia Government schools dependant children Education Fees
- $3,000 Kindergarten
- $5,600 Pre-primary and Primary (Up to year 7)
- $6,500 Lower Secondary (Years 8 – 10)
- $7,500 Upper Secondary (Years 11 – 12)
The following information is shown, in more detail, on the WA website for Student Visa Education shown above.
Dependants, under the age of 18, of the holders of the certain visa categories are able to apply for discounted international tuition fees.
A list of these Visas, current in 2009, is:
- 425 Family Relationship
- 456 Business short stay
- 459 Sponsored business visitor
- 570 Independent ELICOS sector
- 572 Vocational, Education and Training sector
- 573 Higher education sector (undergraduate)
- 575 Non award foundation studies
- 675 Medical treatment (short stay)
- 676 Tourist (short stay)
- 679 Sponsored family visitor (short stay)
- 685 Medical treatment (long stay)
- 686 Tourist (long stay)
- 956/976/977 electronic travel authority (visitor and business)
Note: these discountee fees only apply to the dependants, not to the primary Visa holders.