Most Homestay hosts are families with children around the same age group as the students being hosted, but there are no fixed rules for this, and any suitable hosts may be considered by the hosting organisation.
$200 to $240 per week is a normal range that may be paid to the hosts for a single placement. This is to cover normal food and other incidental costs. This payment is considered to be not taxable by the Australian Tax Office, although this should be checked for any upto date advice.
Australian Taxation information for Homestay Hosting
- Brisbane Educational Consultants & Brokers
- Oz Homestay student accommodation – Sydney
- Monash University FAQs for Homestay Students
- Queensland University Technology – Tips to Hosting an International Student
- Griffith University – Become a homestay host
- Homestay Network – Sydney
- Nacel Australia – Perth Homestays